To try to stop the spread of the new coronavirus, Morocco closed its land borders with Ceuta and Melilla, two Spanish enclaves located in the north of that country, on March 13.
In coordination with Madrid, the Rabat authorities also suspended air connections to and from Spain, as well as maritime passenger traffic, which is usually very intense in the Strait of Gibraltar.
After more than two months, the Moroccan government provided the Spanish authorities with a list of citizens authorized to return to the country.
The group of about 300 people left Ceuta this morning, having been transported by bus towards Moroccan territory, a spokesman for the Spanish enclave's chamber said in a statement to France-Presse (AFP).
The same source indicated that the Moroccan citizens in question were “families doing tourism, cross-border workers and domestic workers”.
“The agreement is that the Moroccan citizens who are here can leave over the next few days,” said the spokesman, adding that “between 150 to 200” other people are waiting to return to Morocco soon.
On the other hand, according to the representative, other Moroccan citizens, who work in Ceuta, preferred to stay.
Other repatriations will also take place from Melilla, from where around 200 Moroccan citizens have already left during the month of May.
The Moroccan government has decided to prolong the state of emergency enacted due to the pandemic of the covid-19 disease until June 10, with no indication, so far, about a future reopening of the borders.
SCA // EL
The Covid-19 content: Hundreds of Moroccans stranded in Ceuta (Spain) began to be repatriated appears first in Vision.